Connect with us

Latest

Girl found hanging was raped, killed in Karachi

Published

on



KARACHI:

The girl found hanging in a room in her house in Karachi’s Korangi had not committed suicide, rather she was murdered and then hanged, autopsy conducted by the female medico legal officer revealed.

The MLO said the deceased had been abused and tortured for a long time. Police suspect that she was killed by her tormentor fearing that she would speak up about him.

Advertisement

Zaman Town Police have registered a case of murder of a 12-year-old girl in House No. F/110 Usman Town Sector C/50 Korangi in the complaint of the victim’s father, Abu Tahir Jamalud Din.

The case will be investigated by the In charge of Anti Rape Investigation and Trial 2020. While recording his statement in the case, the victim’s father told the police that he was residing at the said address and earned his living for himself and his children by working as a labourer.

His wife died three years ago leaving behind four children, including two daughters and two younger sons.

He added that he used to hand over his children to his elder daughter before going to work. On September 21, 2022, he went to work as usual in the morning and returned around 4 pm.

The door of the house was locked from the inside. When he knocked on the door, no one responded. Meanwhile, his elder daughter came out from the neighbouring house and told him that she had taken Saad (his son) and went to the tutoring lady at 3 o’clock. At that time, his younger daughter Mehnaz Kainat, was alone at home.

Advertisement

Abu Tahir added that his elder daughter Shahnaz came back around 3:30 and knocked on the door, but Mehnaz did not open the door from inside, so Shahnaz went to the neighbour’s house.

Also read: Fact Check: Woman employee not gang-raped, murdered in Karachi office

The neighbours and residents of the area heard noises and asked Fahad to jump into the house and open the door from inside. When they went in, they saw Mehnaz hanging with a dupatta tied to the ceiling.

Abu Tahir said he took Mehnaz to Government Hospital No5, however, they asked him to go to Jinnah Hospital, so he took the girl to Jinnah Hospital. The doctors checked the girl and said that the daughter was not alive. Later, the police got an autopsy conducted through a lady medico legal officer who revealed that that the deceased had been abused and tortured for a long time.

Mehnaz was laid to rest on Thursday. So far, no concrete progress has been made in the investigation. The affected family has been living in the same area for many years and did not suspect anyone living there.

Advertisement

Father of the deceased said that his family has been living in the same area for the last 40 years. He has asked for information in the madrassa, tuition centre and the neighbourhood though he does not suspect anyone. He said that the daughter had never even mentioned any problem.

She took an interest in her studies, everything was normal, and there was no change in the daughter’s routine during the last few days before her death.



Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest

US sending ‘dangerous signals’ on Taiwan, China tells Blinken

Published

on

By



NEW YORK:

China has accused the United States of sending “very wrong, dangerous signals” on Taiwan after the U.S. secretary of state told his Chinese counterpart on Friday that the maintenance of peace and stability over Taiwan was vitally important.

Taiwan was the focus of the 90-minute, “direct and honest” talks between Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi on the margins of the U.N. General Assembly in New York, a U.S official told reporters.

Advertisement

“For our part, the secretary made crystal clear that, in accordance with our long-standing one-China policy, which again has not changed, the maintenance of peace and stability across the Strait is absolutely, vitally important,” the senior U.S. administration official said.

China’s foreign ministry, in a statement on the meeting, said the United States was sending “very wrong, dangerous signals” on Taiwan, and the more rampant Taiwan’s independence activity, the less likely there would be a peaceful settlement.

“The Taiwan issue is an internal Chinese matter, and the United States has no right to interfere in what method will be used to resolve it,” the ministry cited Wang as saying.

Tensions over Taiwan have soared after a visit there in August by U.S. House of Representatives Speaker Nancy Pelosi – which was followed by large-scale Chinese military drills – as well as a pledge by U.S. President Joe Biden to defend the democratically governed island.

Biden’s statement was his most explicit to date about committing U.S. troops to the defend the island. It was also the latest instance of his appearing to go beyond a long-standing U.S. policy of “strategic ambiguity,” which does not make it clear whether the United States would respond militarily to an attack on Taiwan. 

Advertisement

The White House has insisted its Taiwan policy has not changed, but China said Biden’s remarks sent the wrong signal to those seeking an independent Taiwan. 

In a phone call with Biden in July, Chinese leader Xi Jinping warned about Taiwan, saying “those who play with fire will perish by it.”

China sees Taiwan as one of its provinces and has long vowed to bring the island under its control and has not ruled out the use of force to do so.

Taiwan’s government strongly objects to China’s sovereignty claims and says only the island’s 23 million people can decide its future.

Taiwan’s foreign ministry, responding to the meeting between Blinken and Wang, said China’s “recent provocative actions” had made the Taiwan Strait a focus of discussion, and China was trying to “confuse the international audience with arguments and criticisms that contradict reality.”

Advertisement

The State Department had said earlier that Blinken’s meeting with Wang was part of a U.S. effort to “maintain open lines of communication and manage competition responsibly,” and the senior official said Blinken had reiterated U.S. openness to “cooperating with China on matters of global concern.”

Blinken also “highlighted the implications” if China were to provide material support to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine or engage in wholesale sanctions evasion, the official added.

U.S. officials have in the past said they had seen no evidence of China providing such support.

Blinken “underscored that the United States and China and the international community have an obligation to work to counter the effects of that invasion and also to deter Russia from taking further provocative actions,” the official said.

‘DEVASTATE OUR BILATERAL TIES’

Advertisement

Blinken’s meeting with Wang was preceded by one between the foreign ministers of the Quad grouping of Australia, India, Japan and the United States, which issued a statement, referring to the Indo-Pacific, saying that “we strongly oppose any unilateral actions that seek to change the status quo or increase tensions in the region.”

Since Pelosi’s visit “China has taken a number of provocative steps that have by design acted to change the status quo”, the U.S. official said.

U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris will discuss Taiwan security during bilateral meetings with the leaders of U.S. allies Japan and South Korea when she visits them next week, another U.S. official said.

Daniel Russel, the top U.S. diplomat for Asia under President Barack Obama, said the fact Blinken and Wang had met was important after the turbulence brought by Pelosi’s visit, and hopefully some progress would have been made towards arranging a meeting between Xi and Biden on the sidelines of a G-20 meeting in November, which would be their first in-person as leaders.

“Wang and Blinken’s decision to meet in New York does not guarantee the November summit will go smoothly or that it will even occur. But had they been unable to meet, it would have meant the prospects for a summit in November were poor,” said Russel, now with the Asia Society.

Advertisement

In a speech to the Asia Society in New York on Thursday, Wang said the Taiwan question was growing into the biggest risk in China-U.S. relations.

“Should it be mishandled, it is most likely to devastate our bilateral ties,” Wang said, according to a transcript from the Chinese embassy.

Likewise, the decades-old U.S. law outlining Washington’s unofficial relations with Taiwan – which Beijing considers null – makes clear that Washington’s decision to establish diplomatic relations with China in 1979 “rests upon the expectation that the future of Taiwan will be determined by peaceful means.”



Advertisement
Continue Reading

Latest

K-P rejects govt’s request for security forces

Published

on

By



PESHAWAR:

The provincial government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (K-P) has refused a federal request to provide police personnel to stop Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf’s long march.

Chief Minister Mahmood Khan informed the federal government that the law and order situation in the province requires attention and during this time, providing security personnel to stop the long march was not feasible.

Advertisement

He added that at a time when Interior Minister Rana Sanaullah should himself be present in Swat to assist in controlling the security situation, the federal government is seeking help from K-P police forces.

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf leader Shaukat Ali Yousafzai also lambasted Sanaullah, questioning his capabilities as the interior minister.

Read Provinces warned against backing PTI long march

“How can an interior minister not know what to do? Are there fears of a terrorist attack in Islamabad or are some foreign forces plotting to attack the capital for which the forces are required? There is no way we can provide any police or FC personnel to the capital.”

He added that the person who “killed innocent civilians in Model Town, now wants to play the same game in Islamabad too”.

Advertisement

Yousafzai went on to stress that PTI’s long march will be peaceful and no force can stop the ‘millions’ from marching onto Islamabad.

Special Assistant to KP Chief Minister Barrister Muhammad Ali Saif also criticized the government’s request, saying the police force is direly needed in K-P to maintain peace in the province.

“Rana Sanaullah needs our police force to stop Pakistanis from entering Islamabad. The K-P government cannot give its police to Centre just to torture citizens,” he added.



Advertisement
Continue Reading

Latest

Tears flow as curtain comes down on Federer’s glittering career

Published

on

By



LONDON:

Roger Federer’s trophy-laden career ended with defeat on Friday, but for once the result hardly mattered as the Swiss maestro headed into retirement with tears in his eyes and cheers ringing in his ears.

With a sellout crowd of 17,500 at London’s O2 Arena willing him on, the 20-time Grand Slam champion returned after more than a year away to play alongside Rafael Nadal, the Spaniard with whom he shared one of tennis’s most captivating rivalries.

Advertisement

With the clock past midnight, Federer could have sealed victory in the Laver Cup doubles clash when he served at match point in a tense deciding tiebreak, but it was not to be as Americans Jack Sock and Frances Tiafoe ripped up the script.

Sock thumped a forehand winner and sealed a 4-6 7-6 11-9 win for Team World. After a brief moment of stunned silence around the packed arena, the crowd rose to salute the 41-year-old Federer, whose elegance, charisma and sportsmanship has graced tennis and transcended sport during a 24-year career.

Federer produced moments of his trademark magic during a fiercely contested duel and kept his emotions in check.

But the tears flowed afterwards as Ellie Goulding sung while a montage of Federer’s feats was projected on the black court.

When he was hugged by wife, Mirka, children Leo, Lenny, Myla and Charlene, and his parents Lynette and Robert, there was hardly a dry eye in the house.

Advertisement

“We’ll get through this somehow. It’s been a wonderful day. I told the guys I’m happy, not sad,” said Federer, who announced last week that this would be his final event after struggling to overcome a knee injury.

“I enjoyed tying my shoelaces one more time, everything was the last time,” he added. “Playing with Rafa and having all the greats here, all the legends.”

Federer broke down as he thanked his wife.

“She could have stopped me a long, long time ago but she didn’t. She kept me going and allowed me to play, so it’s amazing – thank you,” he said.

Federer’s eagerly anticipated final bow came after British favourite Andy Murray had battled against Australian Alex De Minaur for two and a half hours, but lost.

Advertisement

Murray’s two Wimbledon titlesmade him a national sporting icon, but the night was all about Federer – a player who resides in the pantheon of sporting greats with the likes of Pele, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali.

Even his practice sessions here have been standing-room-only affairs, and an electric atmosphere greeted him as he walked out into the cavernous arena alongside Nadal just after 10pm.

“I’ve done this thousands of times, but this one feels different. Thank you to everybody who’s coming tonight,” Federer posted on Twitter earlier in the day.

Team event

The crowd included Australian great Laver – the man who inspired Federer to create the team competition being staged in London for the first time.

Advertisement

Loud cheers accompanied Federer and Nadal, or ‘Fedal’ as they are nicknamed, on to court and The Clash’s London Calling boomed out as they warmed up.

An even bigger roar went up when Federer punched away a volley in the opening game – his first competitive shot since defeat by Hubert Hurkacz at Wimbledon last year ended his dream of a record-extending ninth title on Centre Court.

During changeovers video screens showed iconic moments of Federer’s career with tributes from Nadal and his mother.

But this was no exhibition match.

American duo Sock and Tiafoe, pantomime villains for the night, tested Federer’s reactions with some lusty blows aimed at the Swiss maestro.

Advertisement

Federer was equal to pretty much everything, his silky shot-making and nimble footwork on show despite a long time away from the court.

The iconic pair, with a combined age of 77 and 42 Grand Slam titles between them, edged the opening set by breaking Tiafoe’s serve. But the Americans levelled as Federer and Nadal began to fade.

Chants of “Let’s go, Roger, let’s go” resounded around the packed stands in the championship tiebreak as Federer and Nadal clawed their way towards a victory the occasion demanded.

Even the tennis gods could not intervene to allow Federer one last victory, but nothing could take the gloss off a night to celebrate a player who led tennis into a golden era.

“It still feels like a celebration for me and that’s exactly what I hoped for,” said Federer, who scaled unprecedented heights and rewrote the record books. “It’s been a perfect journey and I would do it all over again.”

Advertisement



Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2012 Pakistan-sports.com.