Connect with us

Balochistan

PM reviews relief work in Balochistan, death toll at 136

Published

on



QUETTA:

PM Shehbaz Sharif on Monday reviewed relief efforts in Balochistan and ordered authorities to distribute compensation money to those affected by the floods within 24 hours.

The death toll from the devastating floods is now at 136.

Advertisement

During his day-long visit to the provincial capital, the premier talked with the media following a visit to the camps set up for the flood affectees and expressed regret over the lack of basic facilities, including food and water, being provided to the victims of the recent flooding.

The prime minister issued the directive during his visit to the tent city set up in the Khusnob area of Qila Saifullah district to accommodate the flood-affected people.

He asked the National Disaster and Management Authority (NDMA) and Provincial Disaster Management Authority (PDMA) to increase the pace of the relief and rescue operations to best facilitate the victims.

Read: PMD warns of ‘above-normal’ rainfall this month

Chief Minister Balochistan Abdul Quddus Bizenjo and Chairman NDMA Lieutenant General Akhtar Nawaz briefed the prime minister about the damage incurred by torrential rains in the province.

Advertisement

Shehbaz was informed that four camps with medical facilities had been set up for flood-affected people and a tube well system in the area was functioning with solar energy to meet the water needs.

The prime minister interacted with the affectees and inquired about the facilities being provided to them.

PM Shehbaz is being accompanied by federal ministers Sardar Israr Tareen, Marriyum Aurangzeb, Maulana Abdul Wasay, Nawabzada Shahzain Bugti, Minister of State Muhammad Hashim Notezai, MNA Salahuddin Ayubi and Chairman NDMA.

Death toll reaches 136 in Balochistan flooding

The death toll in flood-affected districts of Balochistan has risen to 136 while 70 people are reported injured.

Advertisement

According to a report released by the Provincial Disaster Management Authority, a total of 13,535 houses have collapsed or are partially damaged due to the ongoing heavy rains and floods.

The rains and flood have also severely affected six highways covering 640 kilometres. Meanwhile, large-scale relief and rehabilitation operations are underway in all affected areas of the province.



Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Balochistan

Floods expose vulnerabilities of people

Published

on

By


Balochistan was devastated by flash floods that began in June and have since killed more than 500 people, while close to 50,000 houses have been either been damaged or flattened so far, displacing thousands of people, according to BBC report.

The monsoons first hit Pakistan in the middle of June. The country’s National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) said they brought 133% more rainfall than the annual average, which has not happened in years.

The downpour triggered floods which wreaked havoc across provinces, swallowing up entire villages, roads and bridges. For days, people were trapped, landlocked with little help, the report added, quoting local media reports.

Advertisement

One of the devastated villages is Sadori, the report said, where 22-year-old Muhammad Aslam and a few others have returned to see if they can rebuild their life. But it’s a grim sight that greets them. Nothing can be saved – even their farm land has been turned into a muddy swamp.

“I lost everything,” Aslam told BBC, sharing his worries about more rains in the coming weeks. He has moved his family to a temporary shelter on higher ground. Authorities set up the tented accommodation as part of relief efforts.

In Balochistan alone, more than 18,000 homes have either been partially or completely destroyed. People in Sadori say they do not know how much time they have until the next disaster. Their fears are not without merit.

The Pakistan Meteorological Department (PMD) has warned of a new monsoon spell, expected to bring strong winds and heavy rains to some parts of the country. This comes just as water levels were beginning to subside, and the water level in many rivers was starting to go back to normal.

And the floods have already severely hit livelihoods in a country where half the population still depends on agriculture — either selling livestock or farming. Muhammad Saleh – a cotton and wheat farmer – said that in a matter of days he lost a year’s worth of harvest to the deluge.

Advertisement

The 40-year-old father of two lived on a compound with his brother and other family members – 27 in total. The rest of his family have moved to a temporary shelter until it’s safe to return home. Locals told the BBC that the shelters often run out of food, and the rations are meagre.

Local government agencies have opened camps in flood-hit regions with the help of relief organisations, and are working to help relocate families. However, authorities have admitted that relief efforts have been slow, but they say it’s not a matter of will but of resources.

Saleh said he is looking for temporary work as a labourer but with most farm land in the area destroyed, work is difficult to come by. “Winter is coming and we don’t have anything – not even bedding. I do not know how will we live or keep the children warm.”

In another village in Lasbela district the community have gathered to pray with a family who’ve lost three people to the floods. “We found them the next morning – their bodies were stuck in a tree. It’s so painful for me to lose them this way,” said Ahmad, who lost his son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter.

Pakistan is among the countries most vulnerable to climate change despite contributing less than 1% of global emissions, according to the Climate Change Risk Index 2021 by NGO German Watch. Local weather experts have warned there are already signs of the climate crisis.

Advertisement

 

Published in The Express Tribune, August 11th, 2022.



Advertisement
Continue Reading

Balochistan

Balochistan to get priority in provision of solar systems

Published

on

By



ISLAMABAD:

Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Wednesday directed for prioritising Balochistan in the provision of solar systems, stressing that the solarisation would help reduce the fuel import bill.

“The people will be provided with solar systems as an alternate to the costly electricity being generated using the imported fuel. The solarisation would not only reduce the import bill of costly fuel but also help generate low-cost and environment friendly electricity,” Shehbaz added.

Advertisement

The prime minister directed the authorities concerned to carry out a comprehensive planning for an early execution of the solar projects. He called for giving priority to Balochistan in the provision of solar systems across the country.

He was chairing a meeting to review measures for promotion of solar energy in the country.

Earlier the meeting was briefed about the solar projects as an alternate to costly power projects. It was informed was informed that the government would launch solarisation projects of around 14,000 megawatts within next few months.

Out of these, the solar projects of around 9,000MW would be executed on priority, the officials told the meeting. Under the initiative, they said that the solar systems would not only be provided on reduced prices but also be given tax incentives.

The prime minister said that the alternate energy policy introduced by the previous Imran Khan-led government of the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) in 2020 failed not only to produce the required results but also to attract investment in the sector.

Advertisement

Shehbaz asked an inquiry commission for an early submission of a report on suspension of power projects during the PTI government’s tenure. He also sought a detailed report on the amount received as fuel price adjustment through the electricity bills.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 11th, 2022.



Advertisement
Continue Reading

Balochistan

Gastro breaks out in Pishin; two children die

Published

on

By



QUETTA:

After the cholera outbreak, which claimed dozens of lives across Balochistan due to non-availability of clean drinking water in the rural hinterlands, gastroenteritis killed two children in Pishin district on Monday.

The outbreak of gastro has affected dozens of children in the Kohlu and Pishin districts. “Two children have died of gastroenteritis in the Killi Sheikhalzai area of Pishin district and hundreds more have been infected,” District Health Officer (DHO) Pishin Dr Ghaffar told The Express Tribune. He said treatment is being provided to hundreds of patients infected by the ailment.

Advertisement

Several dozen have been admitted to District Headquarters Hospital Pishin where an emergency has been declared to deal with the situation.

Dr Ghaffar said that the health department has established 24 free medical camps in various localities in the district to provide free and timely treatment to gastro-affected children. However, people of the area complained about the lack of medicines and doctors in the District Headquarters Hospital.

“We have been told to buy medicines from the open market and most of the people are really poor villagers who cannot afford them as they had lost all their household items in the rains subsequent flooding,” a local resident Muhammad Khan observed.

He rushed his son to DHQ Hospital after he developed symptoms of the disease.

In Balochistan’s Kohlu district, dozens of children were also infected by the waterborne disease recently. A four-day campaign was conducted across the province with the support of the World Health Organization (WHO) to educate people about the waterborne ailment and created awareness about preventive measures.

Advertisement

It may be recalled that at least five people died of cholera in the Dera Bugti area of Balochistan in June this year. Similarly, 10 people lost their lives in Zhob and its surroundings last month, health officials said, adding that the situation across the province was not good.

“The outbreak of gastro and cholera is the result of contaminated water use,” Secretary of Health Balochistan Hafiz Tahir said while talking to The Express Tribune.

He said the department has declared an emergency throughout the province to deal with it. The WHO has also extended all possible support to the Balochistan Health Department to make sure timely treatment of the infected children, Tahir noted.

Most of the cholera, gastro, and diarrhoea cases were reported from Kohlu, Khuzdar, Barkhan, Pishin and other parts of Balochistan. These diseases have claimed precious human lives.



Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2012 Pakistan-sports.com.